Best Practices in Instructional Technology:
The following combination of essential conditions must be in place to create learning environments conducive to powerful uses of technology:
• vision with support and proactive leadership from the education system
• educators skilled in the use of technology for learning
• content standards and curriculum resources
• student-centered approaches to learning
• assessment of the effectiveness of technology for learning
• access to contemporary technologies, software, and telecommunications networks
• technical assistance for maintaining and using technology resources
• community partners who provide expertise, support, and real-life interactions
• ongoing financial support for sustained technology use
• policies and standards which support new learning environments
The resulting learning environments will provide opportunities for students to use technology to find and apply current information and resources, and to apply their academic skills for solving real-world problems. These environments allow students to engage in activities that interweave education technology with relevant curricular content.
Traditional educational practices no longer provide students with all the necessary skills for economic survival in today's workplace. Students must apply strategies for solving problems and use appropriate tools for learning, collaborating, and communicating. The most effective learning environments meld traditional approaches with new approaches to facilitate learning of relevant content while addressing individual needs.